Sunday, July 4, 2010

Amsterdam: home of a lot of things not appropriate for a school sponsored trip.

Let me start in saying that Amsterdam is not meant to be experienced in the time frame of a day and a half. There is just far too much to see, do, etc... So instead of trying, I decided to hit the architecture/cultural highlights giving myself a little time to relax a little as well. So I present Amsterdam, in a nut shell.
The sign above may seem like a quick, touristy snap shot on the way into town but it was actually in between our hotel and the nearest tram stop. So in case you can't fill in the blanks, our hotel was a little far out. However, the commodities offered by the hotel well made up for it as they had air conditioning and black out shades, both of which I thought were outlawed in Europe. So a three quarter mile walk and a thirty minute tram ride later we were in Amsterdam.
One of the main presences dominating the coastline of Amsterdam, is that of the New Metropolis Science and Technology (above) or NEMO for short. NEMO was designed by the renowned Italian architect Renzo Piano. The project was very reminiscent of the Phaeno Science Center by Zaha Hadid as they both had similar programmatic requirements and both were meant to resemble ships. Between the two I much prefer Piano's project as it seems to function better as a public space as well fitting into its surrounding context.
At the end of the path leading to NEMO, one is confronted with this blobby, shed looking building called ARCAM which acts as Amsterdam's architecture center. ARCAM was designed by Rene van Zuuk and has two glazed facades connected by flowing, corrugated steel exterior. Due to weird hours (1-5pm), I was unable to go inside but it appeared fairly regular through the windows.
Next on the list was the Amsterdam Public Library (above) by Jo Coenen. I really felt experienced this building as I sat in the restaurant downstairs and enjoyed an ice cold cola before I continued on my journey.
Across the water from the library and NEMO is the Music Building (above) by 3XN whose exhibition we saw at the Aedis gallery the week before. The coolest part of the building to me was the large public space created by the overhang on the glazed facade. Their use of tectonics and details can also be commended as it added a great bit of interest to the a rather simple form.
After a mile and a half walk or so, I managed to find Steven Holl's Sarphatistraat Offices (above). Due to a gate with sharp object atop, I was only able to see the building from across the canal. But one can get a pretty good idea of whats going on from here. Its a fairly simple box with strategically places windows and an oxidized copper exterior. Modest and elegant at the same time.

After heavily photographing the Steven Holl project, I hopped aboard the number 10 tram and took it down to the museum and fashion district. Going into the fashion district was probably my only mistake of the trip. I was surrounded by all sorts of big name designers with sale stickers on their windows, I thought I was in heaven. However, I was quickly brought back down to earth when I realized that even the sale prices were out of budget. So I managed to find an overpriced Burberry shirt on sale and bought it to get my fix. After that I got out of there before the devil on my shoulder told me to buy anything else. I then met back up with several other students at the Van Gogh Museum (above) before we got on a train to the Institute for Sound and Vision.
The Institute for Sound and Vision (above) was probably the highlight of the trip. Designed by Neutelings Riedijk Architects, the institute serves as both the archives and museum for the Dutch media. The exterior facade is really the most incredible part of the building as it consists of a screen of colored glass imprinted with famous images from Dutch television. Its not until one is up close until they can truly understand the beauty of the textures sweeping across the buildings exterior. Inside the lobby is really an out of body experience a the light passes through the facade and begins reflecting off of other surfaces. I must say this building had a lot of hype going in and it definitely lived up to it. Pictures cannot begin to explain the space created within this building.

Lastly, what trip to Amsterdam could be complete without a little harmless sightseeing and a casual stroll or two through the Red Light District. I will say the Red Light District didn't not quite live up/down to its Hollywood reputation but still interesting experience for those above the age of 18 (21 in some jurisdictions). So now that the architecture is done, I leave you all with the more tourist friendly shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment